Saturday, July 14, 2007

Car sucks, driving a truck, fishing luck

So my eight-year old intrepid is stuck in second gear; next my speedometer goes out--reads only zero. I bring it in immediately on the urging of the serviceman. Result: input and output speed sensors wasted, two "cracked" belts, and obliterated front strut supports, transmission fluid flush.
Damage: $1775

But I can't be there to pick it up today, I can't pick it up tomorrow, and they're closed on Sunday, so I need a rental for three days. What do they give me? A bright red Dodge Ram. It's so huge and so bright red that if I get stuck in traffic all I need is to strap a hose on the side and the other drivers will pull over so I can get through. If this is your
vehicle, "you may be a redneck."

I raced to get through my visits. One patient already transferred to rehab: check. Next patient ready to go home, so I took care of the discharge: check. Third patient was on the way to the ER; phone the ER: great; the patient was discharged home. Done!

I manage to make it to the dock in time for our charter. My brother, sister, and father (spouses in tow) and I board the 32' cruiser. My sister sleeps off the scopolamine; I don't get seasick, never have. After two hours of searching for the right spot with the Tournament Master ("cheat box"), we anchor and toss our minnow-laden lines in the water. We expect to catch lake perch. We do--a dozen or more pigmy-sized puny pipsqeak perch, a few arguably big enough to keep. But my brother and I manage to get to know one another again, and that's really the whole point of fishing anyway. The fish are just props.

The sunset looked wonderful, bright orange, marking the silhouette of the Chicago skyline, almost 40 miles away. The Sears Tower and John Hancock (where my grandmother's cousin lives) were clearly visible. The Gary airshow is this weekend, someone mentioned. It was such a beautiful day.