Friday, June 29, 2007

Fly high!



Whoopee! Goin' on vacation dudes !

When I was a kid I routinely took round trip flights at least twice a year in the U.S. I can't even remember how many trips to eretz yisroel and europe I've done, but the last time I was in an airplane was ten years ago!

Frankly, as a youngster I was very comfortable flying. Now that I have an understanding of the physics of flight and how an airplane works, it's hard for me not to feel really nervous...in spite of the fact that statistically, flying is the safest means of travel. There's only a piece of foam and a few inches of aluminum between your butt and a puddle of protoplasm. Drive a car and what does a major hardware failure leave you? ---thumbing a ride back to town. Ride in an airplane, a hardware failure leaves you thumbing a ride to shomayim, and several minutes of blood curdling, hair-raising nightmare until the Big Man pulls over and opens the car door.
(Yes, I do have a colorful imagination)

I imagine a completely different pre-flight experience now. My last flight was prior to 9-11. Used to be you could carry on a small knife (though I never wanted to), a bottle of shampoo, razors for shaving, and just about anything else. You could wander in and out of the gate at will. Wonder what to expect...

Still spaces open for the Round of Drinks on Pinny deal. Sign up while "supplies" last.